Treatment of moderate to severe pain can be achieved with Tramadol, the strong opioid pain reliever. Tramadol is prescribed to patients after an injury or surgical procedure and can treat the pain caused by chronic conditions like cancer . Tramadol is available in various generic names and strengths,with Ultram being the most common.
Tramadol belongs to the class of pain relief drugs (opiate narcotic analgesics) that work by changing the way the patient’s brain reacts or responds to pain by increasing the level of neurotransmitters namely, Norepinephrine and Serotonin.
Important information before taking Tramadol
It is best to stay away from any form of sedatives, drugs, tranquilizers or alcohol before taking Tramadol . Also, following the dosage prescribed by the doctor is very important as it can stop or slow your breathing if an incorrect dosage is consumed for more than the recommended period. As Tramadol has habit forming properties, it should be kept away from any individual it isn’t prescribed for or from those with alcohol or drug abuse history . Tramadol should be kept away from children.
Women who are expecting or breast-feeding need to mention it to the doctor as Tramadol can harm the health of the baby . Also, while taking Tramadol, women should be sure to use birth control to avoid pregnancy.
How to use Tramadol effectively
The combination of Tramadol with any other medicine you are taking may lead to severe consequences  and hence, make sure to mention every medication you are on whether it is prescription or nonprescription drugs.
Strictly follow the doctor’s Tramadol prescription and do not attempt to increase or decrease the dosage on your own as it can lead to serious side effects or death.
Make sure to consume the Tramadol pill as a whole and not crush or break it as it is an extended release tablet that can lead to fatality if consumed in an improper way.
As Tramadol is a pain medication, it is best if taken when the first signs of pain are experienced and not when the pain has worsened. 300-400 mg/day is the maximum dosage recommended for an individual according to the brand of Tramadol he or she is consuming.
Your doctor may start with a small dose and gradually increase it and gradually decrease it before stopping it completely (according to your medical condition and progress). It has several withdrawal symptoms like runny eyes and nose, muscle aches, sweating and restlessness and hence should not be stopped abruptly.
Possible side effects and solutions
Make sure to consume a diet filled with fibrous food, adequate water and exercise, to avoid constipation while using Tramadol.
You may experience drowsiness, lightheadedness, vomiting or dizziness that will reduce when your body gets more used to Tramadol but it should be mentioned to the doctor nonetheless.
Allergic reactions to Tramadol aren’t very common but contact your doctor if you observe rashes, breathing trouble or swelling of the throat, face or tongue.
- Tramadol drug information. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- “Tramadol”. Drugs.com. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- How does Tramadol work? Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/tramadol-oral-tablet
- Tramadol and Alcohol should not be taken together. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- Tramadol drug abuse. Retrieved from https://www.addictioncenter.com/opiates/tramadol/
- Breast-feeding women should not take Tramadol. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- Tramadol warnings. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- How to take Tramadol. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- Tramadol(Ultram) dosage instruction. Retrieved May 06, 2019
- Tramadol withdrawal symptoms. Verywellmind.com.Retrieved May 06, 2019
- Tramadol side effects. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4398-5239/tramadol-oral/tramadol-oral/details